Sunday, September 27, 2009

My last post was July 2nd...continues


Mary Ann Cappo Vestrand



7/13/28 - 7/11/09



I just read my last post on July 2nd and it made me cry.

I so wish I could have my Mom back with me.




To continue from July 2nd, I was saying about my Mom not being happy at the Hospice home. I took her back home that day, the nurses told me she had too much spunk left in her to die anytime soon. But she continued to decline daily and on July 9th in the afternoon, we decided it was time for her to go back to the Hospice house. I stayed with her until 9pm and was giving her a hug goodbye, told her I was going home to sleep and I'd be back first thing in the morning. She said, Ok lets go! I tried to explain that she was staying there so the nurses could take care of her while I got some sleep. But she wouldn't let go, so I spent the night there in her room with her.



The next day she slept a lot. We all were there for her, when she opened her eyes we would try to get her to talk but she didn't say too much. That night I went home because she was sleeping so much and they called at 2:30 AM and said she was failing and that we should come right away. John, Stan and I threw on our clothes, rushed out, picked up Jessica and made it there by 3:15 and but she was already gone. We each got to see her though and say our last goodbyes.


She died on July 11th, 2 days before her 4-6 week diagnosis was up and 2 days before her 81st birthday.


Her funeral was in PA and everything went well. My Mom made the arrangements for her funeral when my dad died, all we had to do was a few last minute things. What a blessing that was, she had everything picked out down to her outfit.


Hardly an hour goes by that I don't think about her and wish I still had just a little more time to spend with her. But the 6 weeks that she lived with us was wonderful. I spent the majority of my time with her, we talked about everything, went through all of the old pictures, etc. The kids were here a lot too. We all knew our time was limited and we wanted to spend as much time with her as we could.

My Mom requested that a dove release be done after her burial. I never heard of this before but I must say, it was THE most beautiful experience. Wind beneath my wings was playing and the gentleman with the doves let us all pet the beautiful white dove first. There wasn't a dry eye there. It was so wonderful to take the time to let everyone pet her and be involved. Before he was going to set her free he asked Jessica and I if we wanted a feather. He gave us one and then handed the dove to me release. Jessica helped me throw it up into the air and he released others at the same time.

My wonderful children, I don't know what I would do without them.

My beautiful family!

Jeremy, Jessica, Jason & Justin,

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Joni, I'm so sorry for your loss... reading this posts makes my heart break for you. I hope time and wonderful memories help to ease the pain. The dove release idea is beautiful!!! I've never heard of it before and reading that it was done with wind beneath my wings just brought me goosebumps!